- NHS England saw 115 more deaths in hospital patients who tested positive – the youngest a 26-year-old
- Scotland posted nine Covid-19 deaths in all settings, followed by eight in Wales and one in Northern Ireland
- Britain’s outbreak has slowed dramatically in the past few weeks – yesterday 359 new deaths were recorded
- But statistics show only 345 deaths were recorded in the 27 EU countries yesterday, including 81 in France
- Here’s how to help people impacted by Covid-19
Britain today announced 176 more coronavirus deaths, taking the total number of victims to 39,904 – as separate shock data suggests the UK’s outbreak is still killing more people each day than the rest of the EU countries combined.
The UK’s death toll is now on the brink of passing the 40,000 mark, but the epidemic has slowed dramatically in the past few weeks. For comparison, last Thursday there were 377 Covid deaths, and 338 the week before that.